Monthly Archives: May 2013

Government Changes Permitted Development Rights

The much heralded changes to the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO) have been laid before Parliament today, and come into effect on the 30th May 2013.

The new rules introduce permitted development rights for the change of use from B1(a) offices to C3 residential purposes. However, these rights will not apply in ‘Article 1(6A) land’ which are those areas for which 17 Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) have applied successfully for an exemption (exempt office areas). This includes parts of the City of London and the London Boroughs of Camden, Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Lambeth, Wandsworth, Westminster, Newham, and Kensington and Chelsea. Also exempt are 2 areas (Milton Park Enterprise Zone and Harwell Oxford Enterprise Zone) in the Vale of the White Horse, 13 areas in the Gunnels Wood Employment Area of Stevenage, The Ashford Commercial Quarter in Ashford Borough Council, Kent and areas in London Road and Westerham in Sevenoaks District Council, areas in several parishes in East Hampshire, and Manchester City Council. The exact areas are shown on maps which have not yet been published on line.

The building must be in office B1(a) use on 30th May 2013 or was last in use as B1(a) offices.

The new rules are to be for a temporary period and to end on 30th May 2016.

The exemption does not apply to Listed Buildings or a scheduled monument.

A developer must apply to the LPA for a determination as to whether prior approval will be required as to highways and transport impacts, contamination and flood risk. The procedure requires an application to be made with a written description, plans showing the site and the proposed development, together with any fee required.

The LPA may require a highways, flooding or contamination assessments where appropriate. The LPA has 56 days to issue either a notice that prior approval is not required or one giving prior approval.

The changes also allow for 8 metre deep rear extensions off detached houses (and 6 metres for other types of dwellings), state funded schools, changes of use to agricultural buildings under 500 square metres, extensions to commercial buildings and small scale changes of use for two years where under 150 square metres floor area.

Should you require any further information please contact us.